Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Spinach, Feta and mint pie

Here’s a lovely recipe that I re-jigged from my friend Norma. Instead of grated zucchini (the original ingredient), I used our home grown spinach. We have a huge amount of this stuff growing in one of the vegie patches. The chooks are enjoying the glut. We’re eating spinach with everything! I didn't have exactly the same ingredients, so I substituted a few bits here and there. The result was still great.
Home grown spinach, garlic spring onions, farm fresh free range eggs and mint


Spinach, Mint & Feta Pie
Polenta or breadcrumbs to dust
A big bunch of spinach, coarsely chopped
5 eggs
½ cup olive oil
1 cup chopped chives (I used garlic spring onions)
½ cup roughly chopped mint (or dill or basil)
220g feta, crumbled
150g freshly grated parmesan
1 cup self-raising flour
10 cherry tomatoes halved (I cup a few truss tomatoes into wedges)


Variation:
700g grated zucchini instead of the spinach. Grate the zucchini then allow it to strain in a collander to remove excess liquid.


Preheat oven to 160 degrees
Butter a 5cm deep 18cm square cake tin lined with baking paper
Butter paper and dust with polenta or crumbs, then tap out excess.
Place spinach in a pot and steam till wilted, then allow to cool. Drain off excess moisture.
Whisk eggs
Add olive oil chives and mint
Stir in eggs
Add most of feta
Save some for the top
Add parmesan
Season with salt and pepper.
Add flour
Mix in spinach


Spread batter in pan and sprinkle with left over feta. Press cherry tomatoes cut side up into mixture.


Bake for 40 – 45 mins. Serve warm or at room temperature. Great with a green salad.
An easy mid week meal. Left overs are great for lunch the following day.

1 comment:

  1. Ah thank you my precious Baby for the lovely update on your blog. I love the chicken stories. You will probably find that that particular hen would almost become a pet. I agree with you about a soft fried egg on a piece of home made bread, nothing beats it. I will definitely try your spinach pie, looks really yummy. Keep updating we love it. love you lots.

    ReplyDelete